Only the kind hearted, noble, and pious individuals may receive a blessing at an altar. Evildoers, thieves, murderers, daedra worshippers cannot pray at them until they have atoned for their crimes.
Praying at an altar is free, and the needy shall always be helped, however, it is costumary to pay a small donation each time one is using the Temple's services. No matter what donation is made, the divines will only bless a person like this once per day.
The size of the donation depends on the individual. A poor farmer may make a donation of 1-2 septims, while a noble lord may donate several hundred septims.
Praying at any altar will cure most common diseases and poisons, remove all negative conditions, and will heal the characters to maximum hitpoints. Praying at an altar however will not heal permanent injuries, like severed limbs, missing eyes etc. Praying at an altar may also does not restore youth, and will not save people from dying at an old age.
Furthermore, if one is a devout follower of the Nine, the Divines may bless the character with a special boon. All these blessings last for 24 hours and only one of them can be active at a time. To become a devout follower, the character must have strong faith in the divines, and has to donate to the church often, as well as make a pilgrimage once a year, visiting the wayshrines of all Divines. The blessings of the divines are found below
Akatosh: The chief deity of the Nine Divines, the Dragon god of Time. His blessing is:
Jaws of Akatosh: Your speed is increased by 10 feet.
Arkay: The God of Life and Death. His blessing is:
Breath of Arkay: You gain temporary hitpoints equal two times of your level.
Dibella: The Goddess of Beauty and Art. Her blessing is:
Dibella's Kiss: You roll all Personality checks with an advantage.
Julianos: The God of Wisdom and Logic. His blessing is:
Scales of Julianos: You roll all Intelligence checks with an advantage.
Kynareth: The Goddess of Air, Heavens and Skies. Her blessing is:
Kynareth's way: You roll all Agility checks with an advantage.
Mara: The Goddess of Love and Fertility: Her blessing is:
Wisdom of Mara: You roll all Willpower checks with an advantage.
Stendarr: The God of Mercy and Luck. His blessing is:
Heart of Stendarr: You gain advantage on Endurance saving throws.
Talos: The Ascended Tiber Septim, Hero God of mankind: His blessing is:
Fist of Talos: You roll all Strength checks with an advantage.
Zenithar: The God of Honest Work. His blessing is:
Zenithar's ear: You gain 3 luckpoints as per the Lucky feat. If any luckpoints remain after 24 hours, they are lost.
If a follower of the Nine commits theft or murder on purpose, worships Daedra, or uses his powers selfishly for his own good without helping others, the Divines will not bestow their blessings upon him. To atone for his sins, he must make a pilgrimage to the wayshrines, scattered around Tamriel, pray at the shrine of each Divine, and must reflect on his crimes.
All servants of the Nine must keep the tenets of Faith, expressed in 10 commandments. If any of these commandments are broken, the Nine won't give their blessings.
- Stendarr says: Be kind and generous to the people of Tamriel. Protect the weak, heal the sick, and give to the needy.
- Arkay says: Honor the earth, its creatures, and the spirits, living and dead. Guard and tend the bounties of the mortal world, and do not profane the spirits of the dead.
- Mara says: Live soberly and peacefully. Honor your parents, and preserve the peace and security of home and family.
- Zenithar says: Work hard, and you will be rewarded. Spend wisely, and you will be comfortable. Never steal, or you will be punished.
- Talos says: Be strong for war. Be bold against enemies and evil, and defend the people of Tamriel.
- Kynareth says: Use Nature's gifts wisely. Respect her power, and fear her fury.
- Dibella says: Open your heart to the noble secrets of art and love. Treasure the gifts of friendship. Seek joy and inspiration in the mysteries of love.
- Julianos says: Know the truth. Observe the law. When in doubt, seek wisdom from the wise.
- Akatosh says: Serve and obey your Emperor. Study the Covenants. Worship the Nine, do your duty, and heed the commands of the saints and priests.
- The Nine say: Above all else, be good to one another.